Population: 17,000 (approx)
Elevation: 358 m
Government: Incorporated in 1905 local government consists of a mayor and 6 councillors that serve 3 year terms with the latest election year being held in November 2011.
Location: The city of Salmon Arm is located on the southernmost shoreline of Shuswap Lake. It is the largest urban centre in the Columbia Shuswap Regional District and serves as the commercial, cultural and administrative hub for the Shuswap Lake region. Situated at the junction of the Trans Canada Highway and Highway 97B the city is located at the halfway point between Vancouver and Calgary (5-6 hour drive) and about an hour and a half drive to the Kelowna and its International Airport to the south or Kamloops to the west. Salmon Arm is also located on the main CPRail line.
Emergency Services: Call 9-1-1 for police, fire and ambulance services
- RCMP Station: Local number 250-832-6044, street address – 1980 11 Ave NE
- Fire Department: Volunteer service with paid on call members at 4 firehalls strategically located through the community.
- Ambulance Service: A station for the BC Ambulance Service is located at 3290 10th Ave NE.
Health Care: Shuswap Lake General Hospital provides acute and long term care for the residents of Salmon Arm and the surrounding region. According to the Interior Health website this hospital is a “Level 2” which provides the following services:
- 24 hour emergency services with registered nurse triage
- obstetrical care
- some core physician specialties such as internal medicine and low complexity general surgery including ambulatory care day surgery.